Location: Barcelona, Spain
Conduct urban safety audits from a gender perspective in housing projects.
Categories & Goals
- Goal 3: Improve road safety and integrate it into sustainable mobility and transport infrastructure planning and design, with special attention to the needs of all women and girls (NUA 113).
- Housing & Land Rights
- Goal 1: Promote the development of integrated and age-and gender-responsive housing policies (NUA 32).
About the Wise Practice
Urban safety audits reveal the violence that women experience and perceive. They reclaim the importance of women’s voices on their experiences in the city. The audit integrates criteria of safety, gender and intersectionality to guarantee the right to the city without discrimination. The objective of the audit is to allow public administrations to determine the necessary actions for the improvement of safety in urban space, focusing on housing projects and their environment.
Participatory workshops, exploratory visits to different neighbourhoods and areas of the city, visits to different public housing developments, discussion groups, community mapping.
The results of the audit are still under implementation.
Some proposed actions in Cali include:
- Signage / wayfinding: Maps and information within housing complexes with entrance, exit and alternative routes, and at public transportation stops.
- Continuous pedestrian lighting; elimination or adaptation of spaces with corners, hidden areas, without visibility, or abandoned
- Women’s shelters with counseling and support in cases of violence
- Community appropriation of meeting spaces
Lessons are in the process of being gathered.
Resources and More Information
Entorns Habitables Auditoria de Seguridad Urbana Con Perspectiva de Genero En La Vivienda y el Entorno (Livable environments. Urban safety audit from a gender perspective applied to housing and the built environment). 2016.